Jehovah-Jireh Farm

Pasture-raised meats and eggs


SmallJan_2008_028.jpg
An Old Road Dating to the late 1700's991 viewsUpon casual observation of the park, it appears to be an undeveloped woodland in the Washington DC metropolitan region, that was saved from development by the Maryland State Park system. However, it is a "ghost town". Unlike most of the metropolitan area that is more developed today than any time in history, this area was much more densely populated 200+ years ago. It was a thriving community completely cleared of trees. At least five old roads dating back to the late 1700’s can still be seen.
SmallJan_2008_027.jpg
Old road677 viewsAn old road dating to the late 1700's.
SmallJan_2008_018.jpg
Old Road630 viewsAn old road dating to the late 1700's
SmallFeb_2008_010.jpg
Site of old School725 viewsAll that remains of the school that once stood across the road from our farm lane are these steps. This is located on private property about 100' into the woods. The presence of two schools located about a mile apart, shows that there was a much larger community that existed years ago.
SmallFeb_2008_009.jpg
Keto Log Farmhouse781 viewsThe Keto Log house is located on private property on the farm on the opposite side of Ed Sears Rd from our farm. It is a large two story log house falling into disrepair. It was built in the early 1800's
SmallJan_2008_043.jpg
Bridge across Furnace Branch841 viewsAn old bridge located near the Johnson Iron Furnace site. It was built of stone and repaired several times with concrete and concrete block. The Johnson Iron Furnace site is located close to the parking lot on Route 28. All that remains now are some holes in the ground and some terracing into the hillside. The Johnson Furnace was built in 1787 by the Johnson brothers who also owned the Catoctin Iron Furnace in Thurmont. The Johnson Furnace produced 12-15 tons of iron a week.
SmallJan_2008_029.jpg
Stone at the Stone Quarry729 viewsThis stone shows the holes that were drilled to blast out large stone blocks for the Monocacy Aqueduct on the C&O Canal.
SmallJan_2008_030.jpg
Stone Quarry701 viewsThis is the quarry site located in the park where stone was quarried to build the Monocacy Aqueduct on the C&O canal.
SmallJan_2008_020.jpg
Indian campsite?862 viewsIn 1712, the Tuscarora Indians build a large town on the southern part of the Monocacy Natural Resource Management Area (MNRMA) south of Route 28. This is one of the few known Indian towns located in Maryland. The town was located on the west bank of the Monocacy river and spread 1 ½ miles to the west.
This picture shows what is possibly an old Indian campsite located along Furnace Creek which is on the opposite side of the Monocacy River from the Monnockessy Indian Towne.
SmallJan_2008_019.jpg
Indian campsite?820 viewsA possible Indian campsite located next to Furnace Branch Creek.
SmallJan_2008_037.jpg
Stone Silo830 viewsAt the end of Dr. Belt Road on another curatorship property owned by the park system is a unique stone silo. It has a ring of holes two thirds of the way up the silo. Holes in a silo will cause the silage to rot. Therefore, these holes are not there because it is a silo. It appears to have been built as a lookout/fort during the civil war. It is located on a high spot overlooking the Potomac River and into Virginia. It would have had a clear view for quite a distance up and down the Potomac River.
SmallJan_2008_034.jpg
Lime Kiln?785 viewsThere is a stone structure that some call a lime kiln others call it a furnace. It probably dates to the late 1700's. It is in need of identification and preservation. To the best of our knowledge it is not listed on the Maryland Historic Trust list of historic structures. The Lime Kiln is located some distance from the Johnson Iron Furnace site.

SmallJan_2008_035~0.jpg
Stone Wall728 viewsThis is one of several walls located in the woods. Evidence that this was not always a forest.
SmallJan_2008_032.jpg
Old School Site807 viewsThe C.O. Titus map of 1873 shows a school at this location. We found this stone wall in the woods next to the old school site. There are no visible remains of the school.

 
14 files on 1 page(s)